Friday, April 18, 2008

The next best birthday present...

My husband is the best ever, for two birthdays running. Of course this year, the present was a little delayed, but totally worth the wait. But the story actually starts last year. Last year, I had it in my mind that I wanted to do the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge, at Walt Disney World. Basically, you run a half marathon on Saturday, then the full marathon on Sunday. So, he got me an entry for my birthday (this race fills up usually mid February, so you have to be on the ball and get registered early). Every day, I checked on how full it was, and then mid February, it had reached capacity. But, my dear dear wonderful husband had secured me a spot earlier and that was my birthday gift. Of course, it actually ends up being a big trip for the whole family, but it was the race that got things going. 

Well, after running those races in January 2008, with Team In Training, and having the best time, and even getting a personal best time for the marathon (still very slow, but fast by my standards), the trip was over and it was on to life as usual. My birthday (in March), came and went with little fanfare (which I am perfectly okay with). Jeremy didn't really have any ideas for me so he didn't really get me anything (I am not discounting the beautiful roses he got me in any way, but by his own words, he didn't have any ideas of a good gift). 

Earlier this month, I learned that my half sister and half brother were planning to run the Disneyland Half Marathon. Jeremy and I had already discussed the idea of doing this race at length, but came to the conclusion that it just wasn't going to work out. I was sad because if you run both a Walt Disney World race and the Disneyland Half, then you get a special medal for running Disney on both coasts. Well, I was invited along to do the half, and mentioned this to Jeremy. He was all over it. Said I should go, have fun and enjoy. And, HE SIGNED ME UP!! So, lucky me, is going to be running the Disneyland Half Marathon after all!! I am beyond excited, and I will get to know Kim and Ryan better in the process. And, I will be at Disney with people who really want to be there and actually like Disney. I think Jeremy just tolerates Disney. So, now, I really need to get training more so that I can keep up!!

No comments: