Thursday, August 27, 2009

The August Instalment of the Daring Bakers

The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

This was a fun challenge. Cindy and I chose to make it while visiting family in Medicine Hat. We were very lucky that my mom let us take over her kitchen to make the Torte. Since we were baking it for two different families, when it came time to assemble it, we made two half cakes. It was definitely a lot of work, but in a super tasty good sort of way!! We followed the recipe as written, except that we chose to add cherry syrup between the layers brushed on with a pastry brush. However, I never really tasted it, so next time I think I would go straight for the cherry liqueur and maybe get the desired taste that way. All in all it was a great challenge that got us to do a few different things, like play with sugar, make a multi layer cake and have fun with assembly. I loved making it and eating it!! And, as you can see from the pictures, my favourite taste tester enjoyed it too!!










No comments: