Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wedding Cake Characters



Life has been busy lately. For some reason, it always seems to be busy, but lately for sure. I was so lucky to go on a road trip with my mom and my boys and it was great. I'll write more about that another day. However, as soon as we got back, we had a wedding cake to make. This was for Jeremy's friend and coworker. I love making cakes, but feel so much pressure when I am making them. It's a good pressure, but pressure never the less. I want to do a good job. I want the people I make them for to be happy with them. I want them to be perfect. They never are perfect, but I try my best to do the best I can on them.

This time around, we tried completely new recipes. I was inspired by and used recipes from Professional Cake Decorating, by Toba Garrett. We used the basic yellow cake recipe and the chocolate fudge cake. The yellow cake turned out fine and tasted good. The chocolate fudge cake though, made more batter than just two cakes. I ended up having it boil over and made a huge mess of the oven. However, it tasted fantastic. We made them a second time, and they turned out great, although they did fall a little after taking them out of the oven. The taste however, more than made up for that.


My signature item is the little people I make, to look like the people the cake is for. In this instance, I had three people to make: the bride, the groom and their little son. I tried something new this time that I haven't done before with the people. I made them out of rice krispie squares. This worked out great, requiring way less fondant and getting the people dry in a more reasonable amount of time.



My husband helped me assemble the tiers of the cake and made the icings. We used scotch mints to clean up the edges. We assembled the cake at the location of the wedding reception.

The cake went over well, and the photographer was especially impressed and took our name and number. I was so excited by this. Who knows, maybe there is more cake making in my future. I would love that, because anytime I have the opportunity to make a cake, I love everything about it. We've made cakes in the past for birthdays, retirements, anniversaries, even a bachelorette party, but always, the wedding cakes seem to be the most fun.

So, if you ever need a cake, keep us in mind...

No comments: