Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day...


I am so lucky that I am a mom. I have two amazing boys. Sebastian is 3 years old and every year on Mother's Day, I have been reminded of just how precious he is. You see, he was born at 28 weeks, with fetal hydrops. Most babies with hydrops don't do well, but for whatever reason, Sebastian did good. The first few weeks were a bit rough, and there was a code blue and emergency surgery etc, but he made it. Not only did he make it, but he is now this amazing little toddler, complete with opinions and personality. Every day I see him, and I am in awe at what he overcame to be with us. The road hasn't been perfect for him, he's had to have a couple more surgeries, and he wears glasses now, but in the grand scheme of things, it's all quite minor. I'm just so grateful to be his mom. Even in the midst of potty training, with accidents here and there, he's doing great. He says some really profound things and makes me feel loved every day.

And, now, I am also mom to Sullivan. He was born in January, and the whole pregnancy was followed very closely. From the beginning though, he's been a big boy, born at 8 pounds 13 ounces. He's only 4 months old, so really, I'm only just getting to know him, but already he's setting a completely different course than Sebastian did. To start with, he's huge. I mean really, he is a large baby (17 pounds 7 1/2 ounces) and growing very well. He just turned four months old, and already he's starting to wear 9 and 12 month clothes. He's about to outgrow his carseat (which Sebastian lasted in until he was a year old, and even then was still rear facing for another 6 months after that!!). He laughs now, and is rolling over and he loves watching tv. It doesn't matter what's on, if he can hear it, he'll turn himself around so he can see it. Silly kid!! He's got a great smile and he's a cutie. He spits up a lot though, which is quite different from his brother, but then again he eats really well, also quite different than his brother. He sleeps well at night most nights, lasting about 7 hours, so I certainly can't complain about that. It's not every night, but most nights.

I'm also lucky to have a fantastic mom. She's been amazing with the boys, despite all the battles she's dealing with. My mom has lupus, and a whole bunch of other diagnoses as well. They have slowed her down a lot, but I still love hanging out with her and visiting. Our visits have certainly changed over the years. No more bowling or golf, or walks. Now, mostly, it's sitting and chatting, but it's still always nice. She's great. She's funny, she's interesting, and she makes me feel loved. She's one of the best friends I have. Thanks mom, for being you, and being wonderful.

For Mother's Day, we're doing the Mother's Day Run. This will be our fourth year participating. All the money raised is being used to buy equipment for the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). They saved Sebastian, so I will forever be in debt to the doctors and nurses that looked after him. The first year we did the run, Sebastian was still in the hospital. The last two years, he's done it with us. And this year, Sullivan will be coming as well. It's funny, I find this run very emotional. Partly because I'm a mom now, and partly because of the fact that the run benefits the very place that let me be a mom in the first place. Last year, I ran the 10km, and Jeremy and Sebastian were at the finish line to cheer me on. I had my ipod with me, and listened to all the songs that I have on Sebatian's True List (the songs I listened to back and forth from the hospital and songs that remind me of him and what he went through). I'm still deciding if I'll take my ipod this year or not. I just want those songs in the background so I never forget how lucky I am to be a mom!!

Thanks Sebastian. Thanks Sullivan. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to be your mom. I hope I make you proud. I will do the best I can to be a good mom to you both. I know I'll make mistakes along the way, but hey, I'm pretty new at this whole mom thing, and really, we can learn together. I love spending time with both of you and look forward to the years we have ahead of us. You are wonderful boys and I'm so lucky to have you!!

No comments: