Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The snow falls down... and the hug...

Sometimes life just gets busy. And, when life is busy, it can be hard to notice the little things. We get so wrapped up in getting things done and being behind on laundry and cleaning up, and we look around, and see toys, clothes, whatever, all over the floor. It seems like we'll never catch up on the cleaning and projects that we have built into our minds that need to be done. And because of all this busyness, we fail to notice the beautiful parts of life around us.

Take for example the snow. Today I am looking outside and the snow is falling. It is really beautiful, and I'm trying to appreciate it. It's easier to do that today, because I don't have to go anywhere, so I don't have to drive or be on icy roads. But even in my life, it feels like there is so much to do that often I don't take time to enjoy these moments.

Another example was this morning. My 2 and a half year old son was upset because I wouldn't let him bring a bunch of toys up from the basement. It was time to eat and I was focused on getting breakfast into him. He's a skinny little kid and needs every calorie I can get into him. I made his breakfast, but he didn't want it, and proceeded to cry. I was being stern with him, and then he said "give me a hug mommy" between his sobs while clutched to my leg. I looked down at this little boy and immediately stopped being the mean mom trying to get him to come sit for breakfast, picked him up and gave him a big hug. It was great. Of course he continued to cry, so I told him he didn't need to eat if he didn't want to. Then he asked for another hug. This time, I knelt down and gave him a hug at his level, and wiped away his tears. It made him feel better, and truth be told, it made me feel better too.

I had a rough night last night with the baby being up for what felt like most of the night, and I just wanted to get the day going and start in on the mammoth list of things that never seem to get accomplished. But, my son reminded me that sometimes you need to just stop and have a hug. That sometimes it doesn't matter how much needs to get done, nothing can be more important than a simple hug. So, thank you Sebastian, for reminding me. Thank you for giving a hug in return. I am so lucky to have you!! And now, back to my regular scheduled program... with maybe a couple more hugs thrown in, because really, that is what it is all about anyways!!

No comments: