Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Occupation identity crisis...

So tonight I came into work for overtime. I started out answering calls for Fire/EMS, but it became apparent that the Police side was short, so I was moved over there. The first few times I tried to answer the phone, I couldn't do it properly. I didn't know what to say. I screwed it up royally. Kind of sad that I have done this job for 7 years, yet I haven't answered a police call in two months, and I couldn't even answer it correctly. Well, eventually I settled into it and got it figured out. It was not as fun as I thought though, and completely nonstop. There was no downtime at all. I was exhausted after only 4 hours of that. Thank goodness I got to dispatch for the second half of the shift. Instantly, I was much more comfortable than I was on the phones. It was a real eye opener to see how quickly things become foreign after only being gone for two months. And, balancing a different computer set up was another challenge (and the fact that the computer didn't even accept me as a person anymore). Oh well. I will figure it out, and reclaim my ability to do both jobs, but it's sad that so quickly things were almost a challenge!!

No comments: